Turner Furniture started out as a hardware store in Pelham, Georgia in 1915. It began with M.W. Turner, Sr. and a business partner not related to the Turner family. However, in 1929 the partnership was dissolved and M.W. Turner and his son M.W. Turner, Jr. opened a new hardware store across the street as competitors. It was during World War II that Turner’s began selling furniture.
In 1940, Turner’s opened a second location in Cairo which later moved to Bainbridge. By 1959, Turner’s expanded to Downtown Tifton. Shortly after, M.W. Turner, III (Wright Turner) joined the company as manager of the Tifton location, and his brother Scott went to Pelham. In 1971, Turner’s made a permanent stake in Tifton by purchasing its location on 2nd Street.
Just five short years later, Turner’s Fine Furniture was built in Valdosta. In 1988, Fortson Turner continued the legacy by becoming the fourth generation to enter the family business. Austin Turner, also fourth generation, joined the company in Valdosta in 1990.
Prior to 1990, Turner’s operated as Turner’s Fine Furniture offering top quality furniture at the lowest possible price. And even though we had the best prices on name brand furniture, the word “fine” in our name occasionally led to the perception of being the most expensive.
In order to broaden our market and appeal to more people, we decided to open a store with a different format. This store would be a bare-bones, no frills operation with lower priced furniture from different manufacturers than found in Turner’s Fine Furniture. So in 1991, the first Turner’s Budget Furniture opened in Valdosta. The success of this store’s format led Turner’s to open Turner’s Budget Furniture locations in Tifton in 1996, Albany in 1999, Moultrie in 2000, Beachton in 2010 and Tallahassee in 2014.
Turner’s first came onto the scene in Albany in 1993 with Turner’s Fine Furniture on Slappey Boulevard. Austin Turner began managing the Albany location in 1994.
In 1998, Wright Turner decided it was time for his sons to take the reins. So, the fourth generation of ownership went to Fortson, Austin and Scott Turner. In 2006, Scott decided to pursue a career in real estate. Fortson and Austin retained ownership and are the faces you see on all Turner’s commercials today.
The current Turner’s Fine Furniture and warehouse on Highway 82 in Leesburg was built in 2001. In 2003, the 60,000 square foot Distribution Center was built in Tifton to handle all delivery and warehouse operations.
A major honor for the company came in 2009 when Turner’s was selected by Georgia Trend as Family Owned Business of the Year.
Year after year, Turner Furniture remained strong and stable due to the support from each market we served. In 2010, it was time for Turner’s to grow and expand once again. So, Turner’s Fine Furniture and Turner’s Budget Furniture locations were built side by side in Beachton in order to serve South Georgia and North Florida. Upon receiving much support from the Tallahassee community, Turner’s expanded again in 2014 with the opening of Turner’s Budget Furniture on Apalachee Parkway in Tallahassee.
Reflecting on 100 years in business, the Turner family is proud we’ve upheld the same values that the company was founded upon in 1915. Our reputation of offering the best quality furniture at the best price still stands today. We have also continued to carry on the tradition of offering exceptional customer service throughout all ten locations.
“Our great-grandfather would be very proud of the way Turner’s operates today,” said Fortson Turner. “We are grateful to our loyal customers and communities for allowing us to grow and expand for the past 100 years. Without you, we would not be where we are today.”
To celebrate our 100 year anniversary, Turner’s is giving away $100,000 in free furniture and donating $100,000 to qualified local charities this year.
“We are excited about this milestone anniversary, and we are looking forward to giving back to the community with the $100,000 free furniture giveaway and the $100,000 donation to local charities,” said Austin Turner.
Monthly drawings will be held now through December 2015 with 28 individual winners each month. The winners will be given the opportunity to designate a local charity to receive a matching donation from Turner’s. Each month, $10,000 in free furniture will be given away to individuals and $10,000 in cash will be donated to local charities. To register to win, visit any Turner’s Furniture location. For more information, visit your nearest Turner’s Furniture or click here.
Turner’s currently operates ten locations. Turner’s Fine Furniture is located Albany, Tifton, Valdosta and in between Tallahassee and Thomasville. Turner’s Budget Furniture locations serve Albany, Tifton, Valdosta, Moultrie, Thomasville and Tallahassee.
Fortson Turner, 4th generation and current owner cutting ribbon at the grand opening of Turner’s Fine Furniture in Valdosta in 1976. Pictured L to R: Austin Turner (4th generation owner), Wright Turner (3rd generation), Scott R. Turner (3rd generation), Betsy Turner, Peggy Turner, Eunice Turner, M.W. Turner (2nd generation), Scott B. Turner (4th generation).
Turner’s Fine Furniture -Tifton Showroom in 1959